The Geauga County Courthouse was built in 1869. In 1974, the Courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The ornate metal entablature (made from galvanized steel sheeting), found at different levels of the building, were painted using multiple light beige colors to replicate the look of natural stone.  The upper dome was finished with a copper high performance urethane coating. Multiple JLG lifts, including a 130-foot lift, were used to reach the dome and access the exterior of the building.